It's finally cool outside which means I've totally switched over to soup / chili mode! So many great things happen in soups and chilis. Here are some reasons why they are actually the BEST:
1. You can literally put anything (honestly anything) in a soup or chili recipe. Need to clean out the fridge? Just throw it in some soup. Budget low and all you have is canned beans? Whip up some chili. Seriously, the best.
2. There is nothing cozier than a warm bowl of soup or chili + your fave blanket + fuzzy socks + your current Netflix binge. Oh, and don't forget to light that candle.
3. Cheap and easy. That is all.
4. It makes SO much! Eat on it throughout the week, easily feed a crowd, or put some in the freezer for later. Truly a win win win win.
This past week was especially cool, so I made a big batch of turkey chili and ate it every. single. day. It's THAT good. So what are you waiting for?
Make sure you have these things on hand:
ground turkey (or beef, whatever you're feeling)
cinnamon (it's essential, trust me)
garlic (because everything worth eating contains garlic)
Make a big batch and let me know what you think! ENJOY!
1 package of lean ground turkey (I use 93/7)
2 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 can diced tomatoes with green chilis (like Rotel)
2 can yellow hominy, rinsed and drained
1/2 yellow onion, diced
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large can crushed tomatoes (28oz)
1.5 tbsp cinnamon (ESSENTIAL. Feel free to add more if you're feeling it)
spices to taste: chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper
1. Throw everything into a large crockpot.
2. Cook on high for about 3.5 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
3. When chili is done, stir well, breaking up and incorporating the ground turkey. Taste and add more spices as necessary.
4. Optional toppings: cheese, avocado, tortilla chips, sour cream / plain Greek yogurt, salsa verde
Gram your chili!
Love to #doitforthegram? Good news! You can post your food pics from these recipes and tag me (@kateygordonhealth and #kateygordonhealth) - I'll give you a shoutout and you'll be entered into a giveaway! Plus, everyone will be jealous of your incredible food! So go ahead and let the #cameraeatfirst!